Sunday 24 January 2010

For you, the war is over...

A little remembered fact was posted on the BBC history site today and it's about a special moment in the life of a Japanese man.

On the 24th January 1972, Shoichi Yokoi, a Corporal in the Imperial Japanese Army during World War Two was found fishing on a river in Guam, army issue rifle in his hand. Whilst he realised that the war was probably over, he was too frightened to give himself up. Indeed, amazingly, Yokoi wasn't alone. Two years later in 1974 a Japanese Imperial Army Lieutenant, Hiroo Onoda was arrested in the Philippines on the island of Lubang and had refused to stop fighting his continuing WWii battle until he received orders from Japan.

On the face of it, these are funny stories until you think about their wasted lives and what makes it worse, it would seem that the Lieutenant killed local people right up until 1974 when he was captured.

I have a real feeling about this year for me. I think this year will be a year of small changes and opportunities. In what direction, I don't know, I just feel that positivity and optimism that's hard to put my finger on exactly.

Writing this blog means so much to me, I can't describe it. Reading other people's blogs is also a pleasure and it's opening up my perspectives on life - there are some really good people out there - you know who you are.

I have already chatted with a couple of friends about resurrecting the paranormal investigation group I once helped run on a personal and private basis - what I mean by that is it wasn't a group open to the public to join and I already have a firm offer of a lovely old building to check out.

My son is applying for jobs and I'm sure one will present itself with his hard work in making applications. For the first time this year, I am having three holidays (I've never even had more than one in a year before): a week at a college in Essex doing psychic work, a week in Portugal (never been there) and a fly/fly holiday to America visiting Las Vegas and San Francisco. I'm fitter now than I've been for donkey's years and feel there are opportunities that will open that I've never explored because I was never happy that I could physically cope - stupid things like walking up hill or for any distance. My glass is still half full and I am so grateful to be in this mindset.

Yesterday, by an odd contrast was my very, very rare miserable and quiet day, but I've got it out of my system now.

I was chatting to an elderly relative the other day on the phone and he was clearly in a reflective mood. This was what he told me: "I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement, new knees, fought prostate cancer and diabetes and I'm half blind. I can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded and subject to blackouts. I have bouts with dementia I'm told, have poor circulation and I can hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. I can't remember if I'm 89 or 98, have lost all my friends. But, thank God, I still have my driving licence."

Never had an accident - caused thousands!

Chat soon

Ta-ra

No comments:

Post a Comment