Thursday 1 April 2010

Oster-Monath

White Rabbit, white rabbit, white rabbit. Has spring sprung? Not if you're in Scotland or Northern Ireland. I hope they recover from the bad weather as soon as.

Some good news today was that after waiting for over a week for his interview result, he has got a job at last as an archivist of documents. He left Uni in June 2009 and has been looking ever since for a job, so well done son!

I haven't heard any good April Fools today, sadly. April, the fourth month of the Gregorian calendar was once the second month of the year in the Julian calendar before January and February were added. Unlike other months where the derivation of the name is fairly easy to remember, April is a little uncertain. Some say it's from the Latin aperiri, 'to open'. Interestingly, the Anglo Saxons called the month 'Oster-monath' which ancients say is the derivation of 'Easter.' Even if it's not true - it sounds good to me.

The birthstone of this month is the fabulous diamond and the birth flower is the humble but beautiful daisy.

There are lots of celebrations this month, not least of which is the traditional anniversary of the birth of Buddha, on the 8th. St. George's day is the 24th for the patriots among us and the London Marathon on the fourth Sunday. Bizarrely, in America is celebrated 'take sons and daughters to work day' on the fourth Thursday.

Well today marks the last working day for four days as we have a long weekend for Easter. I haven't had an egg for years and this year, I bought the three lads a chocolate Maltezer bunny. I've never had one, but my work colleagues say they are delicious. I might persuade one of them to let me have a nibble of the bunny's ear.

Some good news today was that after waiting for over a week for his interview result, he has got a job at last as an archivist of documents. He left Uni in June 2009 and has been looking ever since for a job, so well done son!

I've just had a local company, Green Thumb to come in and give me a quote for doing my grass four times a year for putting some powerful stuff down to make the grass green and kill the moss and weeds. The form which they popped in the post was very interesting and they told me what type of grass I have, what weeds are in it, what type of soil I have and what the drainage is like.

I have some standard weeds like daisy, dandelion, selfheal (image above), thistle (never seen that), mouse ear (what?) and the apparently difficult lesser calendine. Thank goodness I don't have other things on the list such as Hairy Bitter Cress and MYOB which I always thought stood for 'mind your own business!'


Looks not a bad price to me and I'm going to give it a year's trial.

Well I hope you all have a great Easter break.

Chat soon

Ta-ra
*Image of selfheal from here

No comments:

Post a Comment