Friday 25 March 2011

London Break, Day 4 (Thursday 24th)


The Great Hall of the Natural History Museum
with Darwin overseeing the activities at the top of the staircase.

My feet are killing me. That's official. They're not round my throat like the old Tommy Cooper gag, just sore and blistered.

My wife wore a new pair of jeans today and after we came back to the room from breakfast, she noticed that she still had the sticky size labels stuck to the back of one of her legs. I got the blame of course for not noticing them! How does that work then?


On our last full day in London, we decided that we wanted to se
e some of the classic national museums - just to experience the wonders contained within them and to say that we've been. The morning trip took us the the magnificent Natural History Museum in South Kensington. This is one of London's mist beautiful and ornate buildings built as you might expect, by the Victorians in the most decorative and eccentric style. There are carvings of animals everywhere you look. Darwin's marble statue of him seated is on top of the staircase in the main hall. In many ways, I'm surprised my other half stuck around for the trip round this building, her being a confirmed creationist believer.


The 'Cora Sun-Drop' diamond from Africa, 110.03 carats

which can be viewed in 'The Vault' section of the Natural History

Like most modern museums, it's well laid out with themed exhibits and was everything as wonderful as I imagined it. This is highly recommended and took us around three hours.



Bust of Albert Einstein in the V & A, about 1933

The Victoria and Albert Museum is across the road. This is
a museum of design, and if I am honest, wasn't my cup of tea (call me a heretic.) Don't get me wrong, if you want design, this is your thing and there were a couple of exceptions which I really enjoyed, one of which was the sculptures, old and new which were wonderful and spell binding in their beauty. It was lovely sitting in the John Madejski garden for a break in the sun looking at the facade of a building celebrating the 1851 Great Exhibition. If you want see something specific, then this is for you.




The Wellcome Hall in the Science Museum

Finally this afternoon, we wandered extensively through the Sci
ence Museum, opposite the V & A. Don't forget, all these museums are free entry and apart from cafes and shops inside are virtually cost free. The Science Museum is slightly different in that there are some films in 3D and simulators which do cost extra. This is a fun museum, informative and wide ranging in its variety of subjects. There's science of life, flight, space flight, shipping, science in the home, transport (including Stephenson's Rocket), industrial machinery and lots of hands on exhibits too for kids and big kids (like us). This was one of the best and lots of fun.

Although we travel back tomorrow by coach, thereby giving us in effect three full days in the capital, this was a good value for money holiday. The extras were the show and the London Eye and River Cruise and for three days on the tube, a prepaid Oyster card took just £12 off us for tube fares - that's travel throughout zones 1 & 2.

Getting round is easy and hassle free and if you're lucky to get some good weather, walking round and seeing the sights at leisure is highly recommended.
I hope you enjoyed the story of the trip and if you can use any of the information to help any planning for a trip to the capital, it's worth while.

Chat soon


Ta-ra.

8 comments:

  1. I spotted this on another blog and came over to have a look. I had a week in London in November, and it's interesting to read someone elses view of it. I quite liked the V & A museum. My choice of show was Billy Elliot. I didn't use public transport, I walked everywhere, good job I wore my walking boots. Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meanqueen - thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I would imagine Billy Elliot was great - there is a Hull connection with one of the young actors who played Elliot comes from here.
    I would loved to have had the time for walking around London - it's the only true way to see the sights and sounds.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its your fault for not seeing the size tag because by NOT seeing it it means you are not checking out your wife's bum the way you used to. And if you had noticed it and said something you'd be in trouble as well for always looking at her as a sex object and not as the brillant mind she is. Life for men. Never fair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna
    You make a very shrewd point as always - straight to the heart of it. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Take care.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a good trip - London in early spring is magic anyway. It looked beautiful yesterday for the Boat Race although it had turned cold again.

    Of course it was your fault about the sticker on the jeans - every woman knows that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Weaver
    Us poor blokes... yes it was lovely in the spring sun, the buildings look very beautiful and they have a warm glow when lit - perhaps its the type of stone used in a lot of the buildings.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. We quite envy your nomadic lifestyle. Brings back memories of our civil service days :)

    No British Library then? I was invited down there by some disability activist ladies recently. (a) The Bear would have my guts for garters. (b) Painting myself red and chaining myself to railings seems a bit weird to me.

    Creationist eh? Is that creationist and spiritualist? What a wonderful combination! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wheelie
    no, no British Library. I would love to have seen you chained to the railings, but don't think red is your colour; bright sunshine yellow would do very nicely.
    A creationist (her) and a spiritualist (me) does not make a good combination, seriously!
    Take care

    ReplyDelete